Monday, January 05, 2009

2008 Results

I stated my 2008 Goals early in the year. I struggled meeting my goals this year but it my typical relentless fashion, I followed through for the most part. Here are my results:
  1. Learn to juggle 5 balls - Result: REALLY Dumb goal! Why would I want to do that?!? Failure.
  2. Run 750 miles - Result: SUCCESS! I ran exactly 750 miles this year, finishing with a 4.5 mile run at 3:00 pm on December 31. My running was way down this year because I didn't run a marathon. Adding to that the weather was awful for January and February so I started out way behind. I picked it up through June but then injured my hip in early July. After my half ironman in August I basically didn't run for 6 weeks putting me 230 miles away from my goal on October 5. I seriously doubted I would reach my goal at that point. However, I paced myself the rest of the year and had a solid 4th quarter, just barely reaching 750 miles by the end of 2008.
  3. Bike 1,500 miles - Results: Ummm... I biked 1,461 miles on the road meaning I kind of failed. But, I spent over 15 hours on my bike trainer in my basement last winter before the roads cleared. So I'll count that as a quasi success. I really wanted 1,500 road miles and would have hit it but the entire month of December was shot because of heavy snow. I only rode 4 miles in all of December.
  4. Do 30,000 sit ups - Results: SUCCESS! This was a very annoying goal but good pacing kept me on track all year and I finished with 30,120 sit ups completing my goal on December 30.
  5. Do 5,000 pull-ups - Results: SUCCESS! Another ridiculous Randy goal. This wasn't overly ambitious but annoying none-the-less. I finished with 5,002 pull ups. My strength really improved over the year. Initially I could only do 7 in a set and I peaked at 20.
  6. Weigh less than 185 lbs at some point - Results: Ummm...I never officially weighed in at sub 185. My lightest weigh in (on Thursday mornings on a specific calibrated work scale) was 187 lbs, however I definitely weighed well below 185 at the finish of my half ironman. Again, I'll call this a quasi success.

So officially I only reached 3 of my 6 goals with arguments for 2 others.

My 2009 goals are going to be much simpler, but also more difficult.

  1. Run the Riverbank in less than 2:00:00
  2. Run a marathon in less than 4:00:00
  3. Read at least 4 books cover to cover

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Slicy said...

As usual, you come up with good ideas and I steal them.

I'm going to try to run 500 miles this year (without the 10239810 push ups, 23948 sit ups, and 239 pull ups, and no bike riding).

We can't ALL be an iron-men like you. But hopefully by following your ideas, I can upgrade myself from a jello-man to a silly-puddy man.

I'm off for my first run of the year...

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home