Thursday, June 14, 2007

Late Night Arrest

On the way up to the cottage last Friday Erin, Jason, and I stopped at Plumb's for some groceries at about 10:30 pm. After picking up the food we needed I drove us out of the parking lot to go the rest of the way up to the cottage. I noticed a cop sitting on the edge of the parking lot near where I needed to turn. As I passed him he pulled out behind me. Naturally, I was concerned so my focus was on the cop.

I pulled up to an intersection that was still in the shopping area but not in the parking lot anymore. It was one of those "mall" intersections where traffic coming from the main road doesn't have to stop while the other direction (the way I was going) does. So I came to a stop, took a look in the rear view mirror at the cop, and started pulling out.

As I did, Erin screamed at me to stop and a jeep went screaming in front of me, swerving out of the way to miss our front bumper. Even though I had gotten to the intersection first, I totally pulled out in front of them since they didn't have to stop. The funniest part was the girl in the passenger seat of the jeep who leaned her enter upper body out of the window to scream obscenities at me as they drove by.

I was sure the cop had all he needed to give me a ticket. Sure enough, 2 seconds later the flashers came on and I pulled over.

Cop: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Randy: "Probably because I pulled out in front of that jeep"
Cop: "Yeah, what were you thinking?"
Randy: "I saw you behind me and was nervous so my attention wasn't on the intersection."
Cop: "Why were you nervous?"
Randy: "Uh...well...um...because a police officer was behind me so it is a little nerve-wracking."

The cop then took a good look at Erin in the passenger seat, Jason scrunched up in the back, and the paper bag of plants Jason had brought up.

Cop: "I'll be right back."
Five minutes pass (In the meantime Erin is scolding me for being so stupid and I'm laughing at the situation because of how stupid I was)
Cop comes back to our car: "Did you expect to get a ticket out of this?"
Randy: "Yeah, pretty much."
Cop: "So I don't need to remind you to stay focused on the road and not the fact that there is a cop behind you?"
Randy: "Nope."

And then he handed me back my licence, registration, and insurance and told me to drive carefully. NO TICKET!!! What?? I was blown away. Why wouldn't he give me a ticket? I guess I should be happy but I still can't believe it. He must have appreciated my honesty instead of trying to weasle out of a ticket.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger iloveredheads said...

dang it! one more person to add to the list of not getting tickets..while cops are always so generous and luckily always have enough tickets to share with me...were you wearing a low-cut shirt? i knew it!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Jason and Melissa said...

Your post just couldn't capture the cop's comically accusing tone: "What do you have to be nervous about?"

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it the green van that you almost got smashed up? That would have been a shame...
--Paula

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home