Friday, September 15, 2006

Randy's Most Memorable Sports Moments: #6

There is a BIG difference between a bogey golfer and a golfer that can challenge par. I am a bogey golfer, so when I get anywhere near par I am ecstatic. My best stretch of golf came when I was lucky enough to be on PCA's golf team for 3 years and play 4 times a week for free! My senior year was by far my best year and I averaged somewhere around a 44 during the season.

Our home course isn't very long but it has a lot of trouble on the front nine and difficult greens. On one sunny fall afternoon I put it all together. I remember not being on the 1st green in regulation but chipping close and tapping in for par. For the next 5 holes the game was exceedingly easy. I was on the green in regulation on every hole and made my pars. On 2 of the holes I had very difficult 40 foot birdie putts that could have easily been 3-putt bogeys, but my 1970's putt putt putter was on its game.

I parred my first 6 holes before bombing the 7th. I lost a ball off the tee on the very difficult 400 yard dogleg left hole and ended up making a triple bogey 7.

Frustrated but not beaten I salvaged a par on the 8th and had a great iron to the back of the green on the 9th. I stared down a 15 foot putt for birdie and sank it with ease to finish the best round of my life...a 38. Since then I've broken 41 only a handful of times and never on a good course and with such superb play. It was a great afternoon when the game just came easy to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home